Thursday, May 1, 2008

“No.”

Jon looked at her in disbelief, “what do you mean ‘no’?”

She turned to face him, “just what I said Jon. No, I won’t marry you.”

He couldn’t believe she was saying no. Here, in this little hotel room with the neon lights glowing through the window he had asked her to marry him. They had the number one record in the world right now and he wanted to do something big. With a night off before two upcoming shows he wanted to run off to Las Vegas to get married and she turned him down. “I thought you loved me.” He was moving beyond disbelief and heading straight into confused.

She sighed, “I do Jon, but I can’t handle this lifestyle. I’m not cut out for all this traveling and running around, not to mention the girls shoving me aside to get to you, throwing themselves at you night after night. I can’t do it, I thought I could handle it, but I just can’t.”

Jon went to her, took her hands, “baby, I love you, but this is my job, my dream, please don’t walk away from me, from us. I need you baby. Those girls, Richie can have them. You’re the only one I want.” He tried to drag her in for a hug but she resisted, “please Jon, let me do this, let me leave now, while we still like each other. If I stay I will only end up resenting you and you will end up hating me.”

He tugged harder, pulling her against him, “I could never hate you baby. I love you. Please” he was begging now, “what can I do to change your mind?”

She looked up at him, she saw the tears there. This had to be the hardest thing she had ever done. Giving him up was killing her. “Nothing Jon, there is nothing you can do or say to make me change my mind. There is only one thing that would make a difference but I could never ask that of you. I have a ticket home tonight. I’m sorry.” She refused to let him see her cry. He didn’t need that.

He realized that she wasn’t giving in and he released his hold on her. He watched, tears falling silently down his face as she packed. When he heard the click of the lock of her suitcase he looked at her, “you’re sure about this?” She nodded her head, afraid to talk for fear her emotions would betray her. He walked her to the door, “I love you baby, just remember that.” When the door shut behind her he swore viciously and, letting out a sobbing “no” he collapsed on the bed.

No comments: